Brimscombe was opened on 1 June 1845 on what is now the Golden Valley Line between Kemble and Stroud. This line was opened in 1845 as the Cheltenham and Great Western Union Railway from Swindon to Gloucester, and this station opened 3 weeks after the general opening of the line, originally as "Brimscomb". The station was renamed as "Brimscomb near Chalford" in June 1865 and finally to Brimscombe on 2 August 1897.
The main building was on the up side (towards Kemble) and consisted of a Brunel style chalet building with a large canopy and a bay window. On the down platform, a large waiting shelter with canopy was provided and a covered footbridge was provided in 1898 following the death of a young woman crossing the line. A large stone good shed with timber ends was provided along with several sidings at the west end of the station on up side. Originally, a small signal box stood at the west end of the down platform, but this was replaced with a new west box in July 1896 and an east box on the up platform in 1898, following the increase in freight traffic.
Closure of the station came on 2 November 1964 following the withdrawal of local stopping passenger services on the line. Goods traffic had ceased the previous year on 12 August 1963. Almost all traces of the station have gone and it appears that the adjacent A419 road has been realigned through the eastern side of the station.
Our layout includes the station and the all important long climb out of the station towards Sapperton Bank as well as St Mary's Crossing.
Brimscombe is 24 feet long and 3 feet wide, the track work is Code 55 and uses DC Cab Control but can be switched for DCC operation. Most of the buildings on the layout are scratch built